This post is about some of the technical challenges we recently ran into while working on a new project. So, if technical details are not your cup of tea, this is a good blog to avoid.
However, if you work with MySQl, you may want to read-on.
At a very high level, all we wanted to do was to load some data into MySQL tables. It initially seemed pretty straightforward – since there were less than 4mm records with just about 20 fields. However, when we attempted to load the data, we got an error.
This may be obvious to all you seasoned MySQL gurus out there, but for usthis was a bit of a challenge.
“Error Code: 1300. Invalid utf8 character string: ‘”El Batey de Do’”.
When we checked in our csv file, the name is in a language other than English:
El Batey de Doña Provi Garden.
We thought we had the character set and collation set but it turned out that we needed to set it in a different way.
Luckily one of our senior developers was able to fix it in a short amount of time.